11.16.2010

Necromancy and Paint

There is a blight upon everyone's paints; drying out. Dead paint. This particular can is in that gooey-stringy gross stage, perfect for a touch of necromancy!
With my lovely assistant Deneghra, *applause*, we will summon a jar of acrylic matte medium. In this case, the gods of Liquitex have answered my summons. "Matte" simply means "not shiny", if gloss is used, the paint will become shiny. Up to you really.
Mix two parts paint, on part medium to a really gooey can, or just a couple drops to a can that is starting to 'go over to the thick side'. Stir, then summon zombies to shake the can for a minute or two. (Further use of zombies is up to your imagination, I use them to carry me around.)
And, hopefully, the paint will be revived. After testing this on a couple of different paints (the GW kind), I noticed that often the paint becomes smoother and easier to deal with. This magical potion can also be used to thin down paint to make glazes, or thicken a wash or ink, and as a matte varnish.

Time to deal with those zombies,
Ricalope.

3 comments:

Mephistopheles said...

actually, MATTE doesnt mean no gloss per say.
every object naturally has a level of gloss, thats why you see the slight sheen on a model when its been painted.
its not shinny, but it has a slight level of gloss.
what matte medium does is eliminates that.
depending on how much used, it can either reduce the gloss, or eliminate it completely.
i would recommend a flow medium instead, for reasons listed in my "paint and you" article hear: http://conceptstorealities.blogspot.com/2010/10/paint-and-you.html

Unknown said...

I didn't say it had no gloss, it is just not shiny compared to other mediums.

Oddly, I was just reading your blog a minute ago, and was going to post a link, but you beat me to it. Great post, although I'm not sure if I'm ready for windex yet...

Mephistopheles said...

ah sorry my mistake :P

it took at bit to get my head around it, but windex does wonders, especially when using an airbrush, a topic i am soon to cover :)