6.24.2011

sigh...

I am tired, it was a long day. Through the miserable sunlight, (I work nights, your sun is crazy bright daywalkers), I journey to GW to get primer. Just primer. It is not that I am boycotting, or irate over price hikes (cause I am), I just have a lot of projects to finish before new models. So I went in for a single can of primer.

They know the sun-time is bad for me, so the chatter is kept small, which was ok (I prefer to chat after purchase anyways, it's a hunter thing). I took a look around, briefly due to fantasy night starting up, and checked prices. Grab my primer and wait to pay

This is where things go badly. I know the upsell games, being a previous red-shirt myself, but this was something else. It was about White Dwarf, how I should get it for the pretty pictures, and feel guilty for not having it. Two staff members accosting me for my decision to trust in the Blogosphere over a 100-page advertisement.

No, I don't read White Dwarf anymore, I think it is useless now. It didn't used to be, and I have the issues to prove it. Really GW? Is your magazine selling that badly?

2 comments:

agemmanjw said...

Not to sound bitter or anything, but it would be nice to have Red-shirts back...

That being said, I agree. I ONLY grab the WD every month because I don't wanna break a collection that goes back to issue 60... But, after the last few issues, I find myself only purchasing them to toss them into my giant pile, and never really reading them.

I don't think the WD has gotten worse, I believe the staff has. It used to be that customers WANTED to know what was coming up and such, but now they feel like they're getting 'sold to'. It'd be nice if GW treated the staff like gamers again, so the staff would treat customers like gamers again too. It's a pretty simple equation, and why I'm now retired from the service to the Emperor...

Musings of a Smurf said...

Luckily, I have never lived anywhere populous enough to warrant a GW so I have thus far managed to avoid the regular abuses I know go on. 'Would you like a giant with your box of spacemarines' etc...

I too was a big fan of white dwarf. My first issue was the christmas addition when the blood angels codex was released. They used to be awesome, full of really useful genuine hobby advice and even short stories and literature. The best thing I though about them were the battle reports. They were long, funny and ultimately well written. You could spend an hour reading them over a freezer pop and a can of coke.

Now its all unnecessary pictures, scuzzy graphics depicting unit actions and Matt Ward and Phill Kelly's faces grinning inanely out on every page! Also every picture of a model in WD is the same. Here's a unit of spacemarines on a demon world *turn page* Here's the same unit of spacemarines in a desert etc... On and on it goes, a bit like this post!